pspp-dev

Re: gui: character encoding in status area for psppire

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Re: gui: character encoding in status area for psppire
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2013 11:24:05 -0800

On Sat, Oct 26, 2013 at 03:45:04PM -0700, Basti?n D?az wrote:
> Now that PSPP supports ZSAV format, can be very useful for the user to
> know which type of encoding being used on your computer. Usually PSPP
> uses Unicode, but this value was not so common in SPSS, until version
> 21.

Thanks.  That seems like a reasonable idea to me.  I filed a bug report
so that the idea does not get lost: https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?40603

> From the SPSS version 21, to start the program for the first time a
> dialog appears asking if you use the Unicode encoding or regionnal
> encoding.
>

> This value is reflected in the status area "Unicode ON / OFF Unicode". It can
> be a small thing, but it can help users feel at home.
>
> See:
> https://github.com/bedf/PSPP-dev-utilities/blob/master/spss-gui-screenshots/data-editor/SPSS_status_area.png

This is also a reasonable idea.  PSPP supports Unicode, but does not
support the SET UNICODE=ON feature yet.  I am not sure what, besides
supporting UTF-8 encoding, is necessary.  I filed this bug to track it:
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?40604