pspp-dev

Re: relicense SPSS reading code?

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: relicense SPSS reading code?
Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2013 07:35:56 +0200

On Fri, Aug 02, 2013 at 10:31:09PM -0700, Ben Pfaff wrote:
     On Thu, Aug 01, 2013 at 05:53:23PM -0400, Jack Tanner wrote:
     > The R Project uses old PSPP code to read SPSS files:
     >
     > http://stat.ethz.ch/R-manual/R-devel/library/foreign/html/read.spss.html
     >
     > They might want to update their fork, but they can't, because PSPP
     > is under GPL v3, and R is GPL v2.
     >
     > Would the PSPP developers consider making a special release of the
     > SPSS reading code under GPL "v2 or later"?

     I think that I would be amenable to this.  John, you are the other
     relevant author of the SPSS reading code in PSPP.  Are you willing to
     relicense the SPSS reading code to GPLv2+?

I would not be tototally against it.  But I think a better solution would be
to change the licence of R to GPL3+

At the end of the day, the copyright belongs to the FSF, so the decision would
lie with them.

I did a brief search of the R developer lists, and didn't see any discussion
about this.  Jack, is this a hypothetical question or is there some serious
intent behind it?  Are you involved in R development?

J'

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3
See http://keys.gnupg.net or any PGP keyserver for public key.