pspp-dev

Re: GNU PSPP 0.6.2-pre6 now available

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: GNU PSPP 0.6.2-pre6 now available
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 02:13:17 +0800

[ dropping address@hidden from this thread ]

On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 09:52:36AM -0700, Ben Pfaff wrote:
     Robert Westlund <address@hidden> writes:

     > I create files containing UTF-8 characters on Linux, and pass them
     > through pspp (also on Linux) to create .sav files for SPSS.  This
     > process works beautifully on the Mac and Linux, where the characters
     > display properly in psppire, but not under Windows XP or Vista in
     > either psppire 0.6.1, 0.6.2, or SPSS 17.  It appears to be just a
     > display issue based on the character encoding not being interpreted
     > correctly, since copying and pasting the text from Windows into a
     > UTF-8 encoded document displays the correct characters.  This happens
     > when viewing the exact same .sav file produced by pspp 0.6.2-pre6.
     > Note that typing Cyrillic characters into a cell works fine under
     > windows, it's just the file that's the problem.

     International characters are difficult, especially in
     cross-platform environments.  Recently John Darrington has been
     enhancing the support for international characters in the PSPP
     "master" branch, which will become PSPP 0.7.x (or 0.8.x? not
     sure) when it is finally released.

     I think that this issue is probably not going to be fixed on
     0.6.x.  Sorry about that.  Maybe John can tell us for sure.

That is correct.  Robert's problem hasn't been addressed in 0.6.x but
it should work fine in 0.7.x - If it doesn't please let us know.

J'

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3