pspp-dev

Re: build problems

From: Jason Stover
Subject: Re: build problems
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 16:34:57 -0400

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 02:19:27AM +0100, Ed wrote:
> I was mostly interested at the start in adding stats functions. For
> example I have written various anova/ancova/glm routines to analyse my
> own experimental results (they'd have to be rewritten, but at least
> I'd only do it once instead of rolling my own every time I make a new
> project). I have some stuff like multi-dimensional scaling and various
> classifiers lying around too. Oh and I have an implementation of
> affinity clustering from the paper in nature last year (I wanted to
> try to improve the space bound on their algorithm, but it turned out
> they "underplayed" the relative importance of some of the features, so
> my efforts to improve the memory usage stalled).

If you want to add stats functions, try to bundle the estimated values
up into a struct that could be used later, or used by another, similar
kind of stats function. Check out src/math/linreg/linreg.h for an example.

If we make some reusable structs, it leaves us the benefit of keeping them
in memory after the procedure exits, then letting the users tinker with
them later without having to pass the data again.

-Jason