pspp-dev

dictionary.c

From: John Darrington
Subject: dictionary.c
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 09:36:08 +0800

On Tue, Oct 25, 2005 at 06:00:44PM -0700, Ben Pfaff wrote:

     >              1. Separate the library but only use it within the PSPP
     >                 source tree.  Use it to write program(s) to convert
     >                 PSPP file formats to/from other formats.
     >
     > For a gui I think #2 would be unworkable.

     I'm not sure I agree that it's unworkable or ugly, but I'm okay
     with #1 for now.

     > I'd much prefer #1, and let the gui make a simple wrapper around the
pspp
     > objects (eg dictionary) which can emit their own signals.  Let's just
define
     > the "PSPP source tree" to include the gui.

     Okay.  Just please try to keep it clean, at least in the places
     where it isn't already ugly.  For example, the dictionary code is
     quite nice now in my opinion.

I agree.  dictionary.c is one of the better specimens.  Which is
fortunate, because it's the first thing I need to depend upon for the
gui.

I do have one question however:  What is the rationale behind this:

 if (get_algorithm () == ENHANCED)
     var_clear_short_name (v);

?? Does spss not remove the old short names after a variable has been
deleted?

J'

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3