pspp-dev

Re: [Pspp-cvs] Changes to pspp/src/algorithm.c

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Re: [Pspp-cvs] Changes to pspp/src/algorithm.c
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 18:00:44 -0700

>              1. Separate the library but only use it within the PSPP
>                 source tree.  Use it to write program(s) to convert
>                 PSPP file formats to/from other formats.
>
> For a gui I think #2 would be unworkable.  It would have to open a pipe and
> do a conversion on every button click, expose event etc.  Even if we had
> a multithreaded application and could cope with the latency, there'd be a lot
> of code to parse some internal gui format which wouldn't be used for anything
> else and would be quite ugly.

I'm not sure I agree that it's unworkable or ugly, but I'm okay
with #1 for now.

> I'd much prefer #1, and let the gui make a simple wrapper around the pspp
> objects (eg dictionary) which can emit their own signals.  Let's just define
> the "PSPP source tree" to include the gui.

Okay.  Just please try to keep it clean, at least in the places
where it isn't already ugly.  For example, the dictionary code is
quite nice now in my opinion.
--
Regarding a Microsoft/Xerox agreement:
        "This is a match made in heaven.