pspp-dev

bsd building

From: Jason Stover
Subject: bsd building
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 15:49:57 +0000

Building on OpenBSD is still a bit of a pain. The
default make is not GNU make, so I had to install GNU
make because the BSD make does not like $< somewhere
in the makefile, and I had to export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib
so ./confifure would find gsl's shared libraries.
And on BSD, /usr/local/include is not automatically in
my include path.

This happens even with gnulib.

I can deal with these annoyances. My question
is: Should users be expected to deal with such problems?

I know we want to write a program where the user can just type
./configure && make and compile it all, but how much is that asking?
Fixing the make problem would require ./configure to know whether to
use the BSD make or the GNU make.  Is that something we should account
for? Or is gnulib supposed to find GNU make for me? (It doesn't: I had to build
pspp by typing /usr/local/bin/make to use GNU make instead of BSD
make.)

I guess I'm asking for some general guidlines, if there are any.

For comparison, even release versions of GNU Emacs do not compile easily
on OpenBSD (you must make bootstrap first, then make emacs). Is OpenBSD
just fussy, meaning we shouldn't worry about it?

-Jason

--
address@hidden