pspp-dev

Re: bsd building

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Re: bsd building
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2005 17:22:14 -0700

> On Mon, Oct 03, 2005 at 10:03:36AM -0700, Ben Pfaff wrote:
>      Jason Stover <address@hidden> writes:
>
>      > Building on OpenBSD is still a bit of a pain. The
>      > default make is not GNU make, so I had to install GNU
>      > make because the BSD make does not like $< somewhere
>      > in the makefile,
>
>      I think we should fix this problem.
>
> Not understanding Automatic variables is a severe limitation for a makefile.
> Perhaps we could work around it for now, but I'm sure it'd come back and bite
> us in the future.  (for example if we built using a virtual transparent
> filesystem).

This is a less of a problem than you think.  Some "make" programs
understand automatic variables in implicit rules, but not in
explicit rules.  I used $< in explicit rules without thinking
about it, and this broke OpenBSD's make.

I see that Jason committed a patch that presumably fixes the
problem earlier today.

>      Our Makefiles should be portable, because it is not difficult to
>      make them portable, and Automake does most of the work for us.
>      But libraries are more system dependent; they're not standardized
>      as well as POSIX make.
>
> Several years ago, I gave up trying to create portable makefiles, except very
> trivial ones.  There's so many caveats.

Automake does most of the work for us.  We just have to be
careful when we write rules.

I don't think we do anything fancy with Makefiles that would
require the use of GNU make.

--
On Perl: "It's as if H.P. Lovecraft, returned from the dead and speaking by
seance to Larry Wall, designed a language both elegant and terrifying for his