Re: [Protux-devel] still and rendering farms

From: Remon Sijrier
Subject: Re: [Protux-devel] still and rendering farms
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 11:35:08 +0200

Fabio,

> I always thought it happened for 2 reasons: 1, because their undo system
> implied making backup copies, and that takes a long time with big
> project files and a slow harddrive like mine, And second, because it
> just took long to apply the effects to the files.

As far as I understand now, protux will not have an undo system for
static-filters (destructive). If you apply such a filter, you have to keep in
mind, it will permanently change your audio files.
So backing up everything will certainly take a long time when you have a slow
hard drive, and that's probably what Sound Forge does?

But we do not have such a system (now), and the speed of rendering depends on
your hard drive (less, as we do not move complete projects to a backup) your
CPU power (more is always better :-) ) and finally the implementation of the
render routine and the algorithm used for the filters. The last one is the
most important. If you code an algorithm, then keep the amount of processing
for a certain algorithm as small as possible, and keep quality as high as
possible.
For example, the peak building is also an algorithm, but a simple one. The
difference is, how to code even such a simple algorithm. After days of trying
and coding, its now as fast as possible with no quality loss.

> Is there any risk that this will also happen? Woulnd't it be advantageus
> to use that resource (or rendering farms, or something similar) for the
> final renderization of all the Songs?

Hmm, no I think not, and it's definitely much more complex to do a rendering
of a project over a network with render farms, then code an engine which uses
recourses local only. And how many people have the ability to use such render
farms??

I'll hope this makes it a bit more clear. And if you have really large
projects, and no time to wait until a project is rendered, hmmmm, well buy a
faster computer :-P

Oh, I'll hope it will be possible, but it should be really nice if all filters
can be applied as Real Time Filters. (Always exceptions on this, for example
Normalization filter)
But all the filters working at the moment are working Real Time. (Gain, pan,
compressor, ...)
So you can work on your project without rendering it until you're satisfied
with the result, and render it only once.

Remon