Re: [Protux-devel] more on RTC

From: Luciano Giordana
Subject: Re: [Protux-devel] more on RTC
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 13:25:11 -0300

Wait, writing a disk stream engine is good for anything, except the real-time
audio reading itself AFAIK
Of course it will be a must for anything else, including peak building,
rendering, static (Destructive) filter applying, and so on.
I just think that we should concentrate on improve current things, rather than
creating new ones ;-)

[]s

On Saturday 30 August 2003 12:38, Remon Sijrier wrote:
> > I am not sure if a diskstream is a good idea, really. I implemented a
> > ring buffer in MustuxAudioFileFormats::OggFile
> > in order to get a constant bandwith when reading an ogg. It worked fine,
> > as a diskstream would do, but
> > it generates too much sync problems.
>
> Oke, I'll try to forget the DiskStream class. The only reason why I am
> suggesting it again is the performance of disk I/O.
> I saw it while working on Peak.cc
> All information was read and write in small blocks. Reading a peakfile was
> also done in the same small blocks (sizeof(short))
> Reading in a peakfile of ~10 MB was taking about ehm, 2 - 3  second's?! (=
> ~4 MB/s with continues hard disk acces)
> I have a relatively new hard disk which is capable of reading at a speed
> of at least 30 - 35 MB per second.
> Reading the peakfile at one's, well just look at the output of protux --d1
> Of you can read the message: loading peakfile - done, then you probably
> have a real slow hard disk. :P
> If you want to record with 16 armed tracks, 14 bit 96 kHz (oke, oke just a
> worse case scenario) make's: 5.6 MB/s....
>
> Oh well, just forget about it, I'm tired and just are typing nonsense. ;-)
>
> Again, have a nice weekend
>
> >> Remon

> > --
> > Best Regards
> > --
> > Luciano Giordana - Musician - Certified Java/GNU C++ Developer
> > Free Software Evangelist - Project Mustux - Musician Tools for GNU/Linux
> > http://www.freesoftware.fsf.org/mustux
> > -- If you use closed software, you are contributing --
> > -- to make them the fashion/the standard . By being --
> > -- the standard, the  habits cannot change, and the --
> > -- world will keep burning billions of dollars into --
> > -- licenses,  which  are  produced with no phisical --
> > -- material.That money could be used to improve the --
> > -- quality of life in poor countries, for instance. --

Best Regards