Re: [Protux-devel] snd_pcm_hw_params_set_format returns: invalid format

From: Luciano Giordana
Subject: Re: [Protux-devel] snd_pcm_hw_params_set_format returns: invalid format
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 18:31:17 -0300

Hi

On Thursday 05 June 2003 11:50 am, Remon Sijrier wrote:

>         r = snd_pcm_hw_params_set_format (pcmHandle, hwparams,
> SND_PCM_FORMAT_S16_LE);
>         if (r < 0)
>                 {
>                 PERROR("Invalid sample format to bus %s :

We only support S16_LE for a while. It is not a hard taks to add more formats,
it is only lack of time (not priority now)

>         r = snd_pcm_hw_params_set_channels(pcmHandle, hwparams, 10);
>       if (r < 0)

10 ? this is strange.. I will check it right now..

> As you see, its works only if I set format and channels to the values
> listed above, but it must be possible to set it to 16 bits and 2 channels?

well, 16 x 2 is what I use all the time. there is something wrong here, I will
inspect

> I looked into some other code, for example alsaplayer, and it uses exactly
> the same statements as MADM. With this difference, alsaplayer plays sound,
> and protux: segfaults (set_channel); invalid format (set_format)
>
> I looked at it several hours but I don't see anything what could be wrong.
> I tried also to add:
>
> #include <alsa/asoundlib.h>
>
> Got some errors, fixed it (actually I disabled some  snd_pcm_hw_params_get
> which produced the errors.) but problem remains.
>
> I really dont' know what to do about it. Hopefully you can help me out.
> I'll wait sending the other problems after this one is fixed :)
> (just joking)

Well ALSA is a great architeture, but the docs really s*kcs. we implemented the
mapper by hard testing and checking
other GPL codes, such alsa player and the samples from alsa-project.org. But we
KNOW that many improvements have to
be done , as long as the alsa docs improves.

In this case, it might be some really-protux problem, that I will check, please
stay tuned for the fixes, if I find'em

Thanks