poke-devel

[RFC] Changing the unit of an offset

From: Jose E. Marchesi
Subject: [RFC] Changing the unit of an offset
Date: Sat, 06 Feb 2021 12:53:42 +0100

Hi people!

David Faust has been writing some Poke, and was kind to give me a lot of
feedback on the language.

While using poke, he often found himself to look at the value of some
given offset, but he would get it in bits:

  (poke) anoffset
  128#b

Now, if we wanted to see that offset in byts instead (or some other
unit) we could do this:

  (poke) anoffet/#B
  16

But that gives us a magnitude, not an offset.  It would of course be
possible to write:

  (poke) (anoffset/#B)#B
  16#B

But that is too cumbersome.

So, what about having some short convenient syntax to change the unit of
an offset?

Note we would need to variants.  One equivalent to

  (offset/#UNIT)#UNIT

And the other equivalent to

  (offset/^#UNIT)#UNIT

The first uses truncating division, the second ceiling division.

Anybody has any suggestion for the syntax?