poke-devel

Re: Formatted output in poke with libtextstyle

From: Jose E. Marchesi
Subject: Re: Formatted output in poke with libtextstyle
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2019 09:59:58 +0200

    Hello again.  I replied to your previous message on this topic.

    One more remark here:

    On 2019-10-10 at 19:31 +0200, Jose E. Marchesi wrote:

    > There are a couple of remaining problems:
    > - Jitter needs to gain the capability of use user-provided printing
    >   abstractions, in at least two places: the instruction argument
    >   pretty-printers, and the disassembler.
                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^

    If by "disassembler" you mean the actual hardware-instruction
    disassembler, that change is quite a lot more involved.

    The disassembler is in fact currently not extensible, not even with
    literal printers: literal arguments (which, after specialization, become
    either part of the specialized instruction mnemonic or remain as
    residuals) are always printed as unsigned word-sized integers, within a
    comment preceding the hardware-instruction disassembly of each VM
    instruction.

No, I meant the program printer.  Styling the hardware disassembler
would be nice, but I suspect that's more a Jitter business, more than
the user programs's.