poke-devel

Re: Formatted output in poke with libtextstyle

From: Luca Saiu
Subject: Re: Formatted output in poke with libtextstyle
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2019 02:29:47 +0200

Hello again.  I replied to your previous message on this topic.

One more remark here:

On 2019-10-10 at 19:31 +0200, Jose E. Marchesi wrote:

> There are a couple of remaining problems:
> - Jitter needs to gain the capability of use user-provided printing
>   abstractions, in at least two places: the instruction argument
>   pretty-printers, and the disassembler.
                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^

If by "disassembler" you mean the actual hardware-instruction
disassembler, that change is quite a lot more involved.

The disassembler is in fact currently not extensible, not even with
literal printers: literal arguments (which, after specialization, become
either part of the specialized instruction mnemonic or remain as
residuals) are always printed as unsigned word-sized integers, within a
comment preceding the hardware-instruction disassembly of each VM
instruction.

Off-topic:
  (Incidentally this is not at all ideal, and will need to change: what
  if, in JitterLisp, I wanted to specialize an instruction on the
  literal 1.0, whose exact representation may be hardware-dependent?  I
  will need to add *symbolic* specialized arguments, at least as
  constant objects named by CPP macros.  Specialized instruction names
  will then contain non-residual argument *names*, rather than values.)

I could print a comment containing the unspecialized instruction along
with its specialized counterpart, which would display literals as well.
Right now this is complicated to do for implementation reasons, as it
would require modification to the replicator, one of the few really ugly
parts of Jitter, which I will rewrite at some point.

The mapping between unspecialized and specialized instructions might
also become more complex in the future, which makes me hesitant about
considering this feature *now*.

Speaking about the rest, congratulations on your recent progress.  It
all seems very fancy.

Regards,

--
Luca Saiu
* My personal web site:  http://ageinghacker.net

I support everyone's freedom of mocking any opinion or belief, no
matter how deeply held, with open disrespect and the same unrelented
enthusiasm of a toddler who has just learned the word "poo".