playogg-discuss

Re: [playogg-discuss] Re: [Advocate Play Ogg] Ask YouTube for Ogg suppor

From: Marghanita da Cruz
Subject: Re: [playogg-discuss] Re: [Advocate Play Ogg] Ask YouTube for Ogg support!
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 17:49:39 +1100

Amy Wilson wrote:
Notably absent is any mention of Ogg. Google
leaving Ogg out of the picture here makes sense, because it would be
very easy for them to offer HTML5/h264 videos that play in Chrome and
Safari, while still excluding free formats and users of free browsers
like Firefox and Icecat.

I'm assuming Gnash support would be just as exclusionary? I'm a Chrome
user (it's a hardware thing -- my desktop is too slow to deal with
Firefox and its memory bugs), and by default it's using Gnash for
YouTube playback.  I'm sure that Google could enforce ogg video and
audio whilst still using the flash interface, fulling supporting Gnash.

The Adobe Flash users wouldn't even know! \o/

<snip>

I spent some time on the HTML5 public list - mainly to advocate the inclusion of Ogg in the specification. This would have meant that to be compliant, browsers would need to support Ogg (out of the box). This would mean Ogg/Theora/Vorbis could end up like JPG a standard.

However, there was some FUDD around the Theora decoder license and it was deemed too risky. So, now no video format is specified. H.264 and Ogg are both optional.

However, H.264 is closed source and Ogg Theora is open source - as I understand it both H.264 would be problematic for Firefox (so you would need a plugin either free or paid for) and Ogg Theora is problematic for closed source Safari, IE etc. Chrome is interesting as it is server side - but I also it is closed source. Flash is ofcourse free closed source software.

Please correct me if I have this wrong - particularly the closed/open source issue.

Marghanita
PS I haven't had overly positive feedback on Ogg theora plugin working in firefox or IE on Windows.
--
Marghanita da Cruz
http://ramin.com.au