Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] phpGW NetxtGen and further development pat

From: Alejandro Borges
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] phpGW NetxtGen and further development path
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 10:24:17 -0600

<SNIP>

The thing to consider is perhaps data migration path for existing users. However, with the data sync classes that were being developed, perhaps we can provide
a simple frontend for the two way sync between a phpGW1.0 and
phpGW2.0 installation. The users can then perform the two way sync if and
when he/she is prepared to migrate.  Behind the scene, 0.9.18 and NextGen
could be developed in parallel.

Just my 2 c.

Cheers,
CK

MHM...  Why didnt i think of this way for data portability?

In theory, HEAD will be XML aware in most of the core data (at least accounts, categories, preferences, acl, contacts, calendar, todo, notes and other apps as they see fit -email is not an issue-). If this is the case, and we can dump a whole phpgw deployment in XML, it only takes xslt+ipc to upgrade the data to NextGen.

Please dont take this as me siding up with either branches, i think there must be a middle step between phpgw2.0 and phpgw 0.16 and that is head+16. But, for developers on BOTH branches, this should probably be the correct approach for any data migration from 16 onwards (i already have 16 XML aware, we might put that in a couple of months before we release HEAD, and boom, we have that path for data migration without the need of keeping database design compatible or messing with strange schema proc stuff).