Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Re: Philipp Kamps

From: Dave Hall
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Re: Philipp Kamps
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 00:54:40 +0200 (MEST)

Hi,

I know like i always seem like the one who disagrees with with what probiz
proposes, and once again I am.  There are several reasons for this.

>From what I have read of the "documentation" they have developed, they
appear to lack an understanding of how phpgroupware works and the way the
project
operates.  I do not claim to understand every app or the whole API, I doubt
any of our developers do, but I have spent considerable time studying it.

Also I find the way probiz has approached phpGW as a project to be less than
optimal.  Not everything has been on the lists.  From the discussions I have
been privvy to and the emails I have seen, they lack an understanding of how
the community operates.  Their general attitude is that they want control of
the project, and if we allow that then we *might* get some code contributed
back.  This is not the type of project I wish to work in and I also do not
wish to work with anyone who has this attitude.

I do not care that they have 250k EUR plus in funding from a regional
government in Germany.  Especially considering that they are not willing to use
any
of that funding to help develop the community.  They claim  that they can
not use any of this money to fund development outside their business - but
there are ways around this if they really wanted to do so.

For me this project is about a community where people wish to work together.
 If someone sees it as a gold mine - good luck to them - but don't expect
much support from me.  I don't mind people trying to make a buck ... but for me
the community is more important than money.  IMHO you can't buy control of
the project.  The project is run by the community for the community - that was
the whole purpose of the discussion last month.

Also I don't see any other developers posting mini resumes.  I really don't
care if someone has a PhD in IT and is a senior research fellow at some
university or if they are self taught 15 year old.  I am interested in
contributions to the project, not bits of paper.  For the record I still have
no formal
IT qualifications or any training in PHP.

Now that said ... the folders idea may be a good one - although it does just
seem to me to be categories rebadged.  I am still waiting to see any code
from probiz.  I see a lot of documents on what should be done ... but nothing
contributed.  I could put this far less politely, but show us some code and a
real commitment to the community if you want some respect!

I have real concerns about probiz's commitment to further the project and
the community - hence my hostility, maybe they will prove me wrong - I hope
they do.

Cheers

Dave