RE: [phpgroupware-developers] probusiness introduction

From: Chris Weiss
Subject: RE: [phpgroupware-developers] probusiness introduction
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2003 18:26:42 +0000

>> That would be nice, and it would be good if they could drop in at
>> #phpgroupware on irc.freenode.net too.
>
>They are free to do so in the spare time from home if they wish (but of
>course not obliged to do so), but unfortunately (as Kai Dupke pointed out
>already), an IRC access will not be possible for them from work for security
>policy reasons.

Just curious, what concerns?  On other "general purpose" irc nets I can see the
point, but freenode is a developer only network and has no tolerance at all of
any
kind of attacks.  Not to mention the users generaly wouldn't dare, imagine what
would happen when you attack that quiet uber geek and he counter attacks and
wipes
your whole PC off the face of the earth :)  No one gets "hacked" on freenode.

IRC can be very an extremely usefull tool, I really don't think phpGW would have
made it this far with a mailing list alone.  Security policies are very useful
things, but too tight a policy can get in the way of progress.  Maybe a more
targeted filter like "irc only to freenode"?  Security is all relitive anyway,
you
do know that some pretty bad things can be done via buffer overflows in http,
right?

Not trying to tell you what your policy should be, just pointing out the
shortness
of discounting an entire tool just because there's a small chance someone on a
completey seperate network very far away might use it to hack into a users pc.
You
know, thet same way they do with email trojans every day....