Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] use of PEAR

From: Dan Kuykendall
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] use of PEAR
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 07:40:52 -0800

This is what I have spent the last couple of weeks attempting.
I have been working on various modules within PEAR to see if we could sit phpGW on top of PEAR. I have even finished an XSLT class that is able to pass off template rendering to the client. There ended up being another XSLT wrapper class in PEAR, but it didnt have the ability to pass the rendering to the client. So I am now part of that project and am re-writing the class to be a little cleaner and allow for letting the browser do the rendering.

I have also gotten pretty far along in a version of my ACL class that works as a part of PEAR and PEARs AUTH classes.

I also talked with the person that is working on PEARs MDB class. MDB is a combination of PEARs DB classes and Metabase. First off, PEAR DB is far more advanced that our old phplib based ones, and second Metabase handles table creation and alterations. For the stuff Metabase does, we have our own home grown solution that is called schema proc, that our setup prog uses for table creations and upgrades. It turns out that we can accomplish the same thing with MDB now. This would mean that we could leverage the large metabase and PEAR communities efforts for these type of needs.

As it stands we have so much duplication of effort for basic stuff that we have to maintain all by ourselves, which detracts from our time and ability to work on the actual groupware stuff.

Im getting to be very convinced that phpGW could benefit greatly from making use of and participating in PEAR.

Dan

Lars Kneschke(priv.) wrote:
Hello developers!

Today i had a closer look at PEAR. PEAR has some interessting classes.

Mainly:

http://pear.php.net/manual/en/packages.auth.auth.php
http://pear.php.net/manual/en/core.db.tut_dsn.php

This would take the work of maintaining our classes from our sholders.

The DB Classes also support any DB supported by php. Would be very nice for
us.

The Auth class does also, what our Auth class is doing.

Please, tell me what you think.

Cu
--
Lars Kneschke