Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] phpGroupWare and PEAR db abstraction layer

From: Chris Weiss
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] phpGroupWare and PEAR db abstraction layers
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 14:22:44 +0000

>example: for dealing with classes we use  $class->function();  they use
>$class::function

The :: sytax is simply a way of calling a function in class that has yet to be
instantiated.  More info here http://www.php.net/manual/en/keyword.paamayim-
nekudotayim.php

So now we do:
$db = new dbclass;
$db->function()

but the :: syntax would allow us to also just do:
$dbclass::function()

So what's stopping us from making an instance of the PEAR class?  Or make our
class
a wrapper for PEAR?  What will PEAR give us that we don't already have?  Is it
worth the effort?