Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] phpGroupWare and PEAR db abstraction layer

From: Dan Kuykendall
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] phpGroupWare and PEAR db abstraction layers
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 02:52:02 -0800

correct, phplib was the major lib collection at the time. PEAR grew from that but was only for php4 when we were still supporting php3. Switching to pear would be a major undertaking. One of the major reasons is that PEAR uses the perl syntax so would confuse our code alot. example: for dealing with classes we use $class->function(); they use $class::function So we would be adding some confusion to our developers. Also PEAR gets to be very bloated. We have enough problems keeping our own code clean.

There are advantages tho. They are supported heavily by the PHP team, in fact many of the PEAR developers also work on the PHP code. They also have alot of people working on many useful classes, which we could take advantage of. In an ideal world where I had all the time I wanted to work on phpGW code I would possibly look at porting phpGW to become fully PEAR compliant and possibly in large part included with PEAR (and thus included with just about every PHP installation).

Seek3r

Darryl VanDorp wrote:
You recall correctly sir.

Back in the day phplib was the de-facto db abstraction for
php. Since then (a fair bit later) PEAR came into being.

As for how hard to change? not sure...

IIRC phpgw's db class is a direct dirivative of phplib from a couple
years ago, which I believe is where READ comes from too, right?