pdf-devel

Re: [pdf-devel] Volunteer for documentation writing

From: jemarch
Subject: Re: [pdf-devel] Volunteer for documentation writing
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2010 21:48:08 +0100

   I am interested in helping with documentation for this important
   project.  I have quite a bit of technical writing experience
   including writing software documentation, but am a complete newbie
   to participation in a Free Software project.  I tried to peruse the
   mailing list archive tonight with no success - perhaps the server
   is down right now.  Please let me know how I can engage
   constructively, and I will try to do so without being more trouble
   than I'm worth.

Are you experienced in writing user manuals?  I think that it would be
interesting to start writing the user manual for the library, for at
least two reasons:

1. The Reference Manual (doc/gnupdf.texi) is not a good document to
   learn how to use the library.  It is getting quite big, and it will
   be huge when completed.  The refman is also strictly following the
   layered structure of the library, without looking into pedagogic
   considerations.

2. The writing of the manual will surely identify a lot of non evident
   use cases, that would be invaluable to identify flaws in the public
   APIs described by the refman.

As general requirements, the manual would have to be written in
Texinfo, licensed with GFDL, and its copyright transferred to the Free
Software Foundation.

--
Jose E. Marchesi  <address@hidden>
                  http://www.jemarch.net