Re: Feature request: --ionice option

From: Sven Hartrumpf
Subject: Re: Feature request: --ionice option
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2019 21:33:49 +0200 (CEST)

Hi Ole.

You wrote, 2019-08-27 20:51:
> nice takes a single argument, where as ionice takes more:
>
>        ionice [-c class] [-n level] [-t] command [argument...]

Yes.
(I only use the -c option, hence I forgot about the -n option.)

> So can you show how you would like this to work?

The 4 numerical values for -c would be ok for me.
The level option could be appended for the classes that accept
a level, e.g.

--ionice 3      (i.e. class 3/idle)
--ionice 2,0    (i.e. class 2, level 0)

(Two separate options could also be considered ...)

i> Also give an example
> of where you cannot just simply put ionice in the command.
>
> I take it that the primary use case is for remote servers - just like
> it is for --nice.

Yes.
I read the documentation for parallel's --nice option and thought
that such a robust way (across servers etc.) would be very useful for ionice,
too.

Ciao
Sven