Re: Dynamically changing remote servers list

From: Douglas A. Augusto
Subject: Re: Dynamically changing remote servers list
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2014 23:49:37 -0300

On 27/08/2014 at 08:38,
Ole Tange <ole@tange.dk> wrote:

> Or even:
>
>    parallel_with_daemon --slf original.slf [... other parallel options ...]

Hi,

I've implemented a portable shell script that does that, please check it out:

   https://github.com/daaugusto/gnuparallel

Its syntax is:

   parallel-update_slf.sh --slf <file> [--sleep <n>] [--timeout <n[%]>] -- [...
GNU Parallel's command options ...]

For example:

   seq 0 10 100 | parallel-update_slf.sh --slf original.slf -- 'sleep {}; echo
$(hostname) ran sleep for {}s'

> How is cleanup done? How is cleanup done if the user presses Ctrl-C?

The cleanup is implemented through 'traps' and works on either normal
termination (EXIT) or when the user presses Ctrl-C (INT).

> What happens if the users run multiple instances? With different original.slf?

I made sure that each instance has unique temporary files, so I believe there
is no problem running multiple instances.

Feel free to suggest improvements and to distribute the script along with GNU
Parallel if you would like to.

--
Douglas A. Augusto