Re: Only experts do this on purpose

From: Ole Tange
Subject: Re: Only experts do this on purpose
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2014 05:19:00 +0100

On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 8:44 PM, Durai Arasan <durai23@gmail.com> wrote:
> Can't seem to get rid of this warning while running a script. There are no
> issues for certain other commands. Can you help me figure why I am not able
> to use parallel to run bash scripts?

> owner@:~/scripts> cat abc-file
> owner@:~/scripts>
>
> this is the output while running a script -
>
> owner@:~/scripts> parallel bash loadtest

You have not given any input source (-a or ::: or ::::), so GNU
Parallel assumes you want to provide your arguments on stdin.

> When using programs that use GNU Parallel to process data for publication
> please cite:
>
>   O. Tange (2011): GNU Parallel - The Command-Line Power Tool,
>   ;login: The USENIX Magazine, February 2011:42-47.
>
> This helps funding further development; and it won't cost you a cent.
>
> To silence this citation notice run 'parallel --bibtex' once or use
> '--no-notice'.
>
> parallel: Warning: Input is read from the terminal. Only experts do this on
> purpose. Press CTRL-D to exit.

... and if stdin is a terminal, it will tell you that the input is
read from the terminal, and that this is likely not what you want.

I do not know that 'loadtest' contains, but if it contains lines that
each can be run in parallel then you can do:

    parallel :::: loadtest

/Ole