Re: Citation notice and funding for development - your feedback is neede

From: Ole Tange
Subject: Re: Citation notice and funding for development - your feedback is needed
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2013 09:39:45 +0100

On Mon, Nov 4, 2013 at 6:25 AM, Shlomi Fish <shlomif@shlomifish.org> wrote:

> One problem I see with that is that (by default at least) it violates the
> UNIX’s
> "Silence is Golden" principle:
>
> http://catb.org/~esr/writings/taoup/html/ch11s09.html

Good call. ESR gives 3 reasons:

| Programs that babble don't tend to play well with other programs.

This will not be the case as any redirection will disable the notice.

| The user's vertical screen space is precious.

That is true; but if it becomes a problem the notice tells the user
how to disable it.

| Junk messages are a careless waste of the human user's bandwidth.

Here I will argue that the notice only becomes a junk message if the
readers are already aware of the content; and in this case they also
know how to disable it.

Better ideas are still welcome.

/Ole