RE: option for performing dry run

From: Cook, Malcolm
Subject: RE: option for performing dry run
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 09:59:17 -0600

Ole,

The value to me of being able to see the command that would execute without
executing is when I am debugging the creation of a parallel job.

When they get at all complicated, such as using your clever means for
interpolating filenames into the command strings, and issues regarding
whitespace and escape characters in commands, it is good to see the commands
that are going to be executed without running them.

--dry-run gives me this ability as coded, so, nothing really need change.  It
just got me musing.... I thought it might be of interest.... but really there
is nothing to do for me but incorporate --dry-run in next release.

I am interested in the effect of --dry-run as coded on --trc.  Will the --trc
actually happen or not?

Thx

Malcolm Cook
Stowers Institute for Medical Research -  Bioinformatics
Kansas City, Missouri  USA