Re: Default tempdir

From: Ole Tange
Subject: Re: Default tempdir
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2010 14:55:48 +0100

On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 7:05 PM, Hans Schou <chlor@schou.dk> wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Nov 2010, Ole Tange wrote:
>
>> Today I had the problem that /tmp on the system was not big enough to
>> hold the output from GNU Parallel, but the current directory had
>> plenty of space. /tmp had 5 GB available and my output was 8 GB and
>> because I needed -k I had to be able to buffer all of the output.
>>
>> This leads me to believe we need an option --tmpdir and $TMPDIR to set
>> where the tmp dir should be.

Hans is right: GNU Parallel apparently already supports $TMPDIR for
storing standard output and standard error. I did not know. All that
is now missing is having that as an option (--tmpdir) and document
both --tmpdir and $TMPDIR in the manual.

The tempdirs for the ssh-control-path will never be a space issue
(they only contain basically nothing), so I will only change that code
if it proves to be a problem.

/Ole