paragui-users

Re: [paragui-users] notes on OpenGL CVS branch

From: Teunis Peters
Subject: Re: [paragui-users] notes on OpenGL CVS branch
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 10:08:39 -0700 (PDT)

(hrm this has been sitting in my outbox... hopefully not too late? *wry
grin*)

On Mon, 16 Sep 2002, Dinand Vanvelzen wrote:

> i have a funcky problem where i don't get any updates on screen with my
> big-game loop structure :(
> the loop contains my gl draw code in some sub section that gets called +
> swap buffers. but nothing on screen... like the program is locked up.

if you're mixing SDL and OpenGL code, there's a fairly good chance you ARE
locking it up.  Lucky you're not locking X then....
They really don't mix well.  and I don't think the SDL_OPENGLBLIT (or
whatever) is present anymore which was handling that issue...  but it was
a Bad Hack.

My own OpenGL driver (based VERY strongly - ie almost entirely at this
point - on glSDL) is not yet operational as it has some boggles with how
it initializes and shuts down (and updates) that I haven't traced yet.
Seems to be memory issue - I've got dissappearing pointers....
(that and 'ref=NULL' added to shutdown code in the gldriver)

> I also have a problem with many SDL demo's and my own program. when in
> window mode and i move the window arround a bit i get a error and it crashes
> :/
> asked SDL folks but no reply :(

What error?
Could be a threading problem - or your X11 libraries may not be
threading-friendly.  (OpenGL under Linux is -not- threading-friendly but
that's another issue)

if under windows it's another prob entirely *wry grin*.  I haven't
explored MacOS yet as I have yet to get one of my old 68K machines to have
a working HD -and- 'net support.  (or my appletalk/USB port to work under
linux *sigh*)

YMMV on other systems.  So what error? :)

> Always a G'day Teunis :)

*yay*
That's a good thing.

Anyhoo, have a good day, y'all out there reading this in bitland, eh? :)
        - Teunis