pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Pan repository on Gitlab / manual sync

From: Petr Kovar
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Pan repository on Gitlab / manual sync
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2019 19:18:49 +0100

On Mon, 28 Oct 2019 17:40:16 +0100
Detlef Graef <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to keep my fork of Pan on Gitlab
> (https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/pan) in sync with the upstream
> repository. But I don't know how to do this. I prefer a manual sync, but
> mirroring would also be ok.

I'd say the best way is to set remotes for upstream and your fork in your
clone:

git remote add upstream address@hidden:GNOME/pan.git
git remote add dgraef address@hidden:dgraef/pan.git

Then just create a new branch from upstream origin and push to your fork:

git checkout upstream/master
git checkout -b newbranch
git push dgraef newbranch

It's better to keep creating new branches rather than trying to keep your
fork's master branch in sync, I think.

> I've read this:
>
> https://gitlab.gnome.org/help/workflow/repository_mirroring
>
> "You can also manually trigger an update at most once every 5 minutes."
>
> Question is how to do this? Somewhere in the Web-UI?
>
> I've tried to set up a mirror, but I can only select "Push" direction.
> This ist not what I need:
>
> Push: for mirroring a GitLab repository to another location.
> Pull: for mirroring a repository from another location to GitLab.

I think what that page describes is not keeping your fork updated
against the origin (upstream), but rather mirroring gitlab.gnome.org
to some other external hosting services.

Cheers,
pk