pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Header/body pane divider won't stay put

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Header/body pane divider won't stay put
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2015 02:22:24 +0000 (UTC)

Dick Baker posted on Mon, 16 Nov 2015 16:51:09 -0800 as excerpted:

> At 12:15 AM 11/15/2015, you wrote:
>>Dick Baker posted on Sat, 14 Nov 2015 08:52:43 -0800 as excerpted:
>>
>> > For some reason, the divider between the header and body panes jumped
>> > up nearly to the top a week ago, showing me just a few headers and
>> > leaving a large area for the body.  I drag the divider down to the
>> > 1/2 or 2/3 point, where I want it--but the next time I launch Pan, it
>> > jumps back up the the top.  I don't know what changed its position,
>> > and I can't figure out how to move it down and keep it there.  Can
>> > someone help?
>>
>>How do you close pan?  Do you keep it running in the system tray, so it
>>shuts down with the user's X session?  If so, it may be crashing before
>>it has a chance to write out the new config at shutdown.
>
> No, I close it completely after use.
>
> Alternatively, the value should be stored in your pan config in the
>>preferences.xml file.  With pan closed, first make a copy of the file as
>>a backup just in case, then open the file in your favorite text editor,
>>and search for a line looking like this (here, it's near the bottom of
>>the file):
>>
>><geometery name='header-pane' w='1920' h='302'/>
>

> Oops, the only two "geometry=" lines in my preferences.xtml are at the
> end:
>
>          <geometry name='main-window' y='672' w='1664' h='298'/>
>          <geometry name='tasks-window' x='1092' y='276' w='553'
>          h='600'/>
>
> Thinking those two "h=" statements might apply here, I changed 298>598
> and 600>300, but that had no effect on the size of the two windows.  And
> those two h= values are the only h= values in the entire file.
>
> The only "header-pane" statements in the file have to do with fonts and
> column widths, and the only "body-pane" statements have to do with
> colors.

Hmm, that's interesting.

Do you know, is your pan built on gtk2 or gtk3?

A gtk3-based pan works in general (as it has been for many years), but
various bugs have been reported and never really fixed, with the
recommended "fix" being to build against gtk2 instead, as that's what
everybody else seems to do, thus making it a self-perpetuating cycle,
since gtk2 is recommended so the bugs in the gtk3 build don't get fixed,
because everyone runs the gtk2 version because it's recommended since
everybody runs it and the the gtk3 version doesn't get its bugs fixed.

That's the best explanation I have for why the various pane geometry
settings wouldn't be in preferences.xml at all.

(If you're not sure what pan is built on, either check its deps in your
package manager, or run ldd pan, and look for the libgtk entry.  Here,
for instance, I have ...

libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0 => /lib64/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0 (0x-some-hexadecimal)

... and being on gentoo using portage and gentoolkit, I can query the
package manager for pan's deps like this ...

equery g pan

... and it returns a bunch of packages, including ...

x11-libs/gtk+-2.24.28-r1 (>=x11-libs/gtk+-2.16)

... which says gtk2, v 2.14.28-r1 is installed, filling the >= gtk-2.16
requirement.

> What's strange is that I set that divider to what I like when I first
> installed Pan last year, and that divider stayed in the same place until
> a couple of weeks ago.

Strange indeed, unless something happened to upgrade at about that time,
that perturbed things.