pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Header/body pane divider won't stay put

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Header/body pane divider won't stay put
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2015 08:15:55 +0000 (UTC)

Dick Baker posted on Sat, 14 Nov 2015 08:52:43 -0800 as excerpted:

> For some reason, the divider between the header and body panes jumped up
> nearly to the top a week ago, showing me just a few headers and leaving
> a large area for the body.  I drag the divider down to the 1/2 or 2/3
> point, where I want it--but the next time I launch Pan, it jumps back up
> the the top.  I don't know what changed its position, and I can't figure
> out how to move it down and keep it there.  Can someone help?

How do you close pan?  Do you keep it running in the system tray, so it
shuts down with the user's X session?  If so, it may be crashing before
it has a chance to write out the new config at shutdown.

If that's the case, then changing the layout and immediately quitting pan
(say from the file menu, so it doesn't just close the window and stay in
the tray) should fix it.

Alternatively, the value should be stored in your pan config in the
preferences.xml file.  With pan closed, first make a copy of the file as
a backup just in case, then open the file in your favorite text editor,
and search for a line looking like this (here, it's near the bottom of
the file):

<geometery name='header-pane' w='1920' h='302'/>

Obviously your values are likely to be different.  You can edit it, and
the corresponding body-pane and group-pane lines as appropriate to
maintain the same total height within the window, to whatever value you
find appropriate.

Hopefully, once you get it set how you like, pan honors that and it fixes
your problem... unlike my somewhat similar problem (tho I have a
workaround) below.

FWIW, there's some sort of bug here that zeroes out the width of the
various columns in the header pane once in awhile.  I guess it's some
sort of a resource race, probably the icons in the first couple columns,
and if pan (or rather the gtk toolkit it uses) gets ready to draw that
window before it has finished loading those icons, it zeroes out the icon
column widths and then the others too since they no longer make sense.
The best I can tell there's some sort of resource cache that gets
regenerated when I upgrade pan or gtk or something, and if it's not ready
when the window gets drawn, the columns zero out, since the bug seems to
happen most often right after an upgrade.

The first time it happened, I painstakingly reset the widths in the GUI,
which was hard to do since with all the columns zero size all the
separators were on top of each other.  The second time, I got smart and
edited the preferences.xml file, removing those settings so it would
choose a default and I could tweak from there.

After awhile I got tired of resetting and re-tweaking after upgrades, so
I setup a script that applies patches to those lines of the file before
running pan.  The patches match a zero setting, so they won't apply if
the bug hasn't triggered, zeroing out those settings and pan just starts
normally.

Now, when the problem triggers, the first time the settings will be
correct, but pan will zero them as it starts, and of course write the
zero setting back when I almost immediately quit pan as it's essentially
unusable.  However, once those settings are zeroed out in the file, the
patches apply, so the next time pan starts, I'm back to normal.

So whenever I see the problem, I'll immediately quite and restart pan
(via the wrapper script), and on restart, the patches will apply and set
things back to normal.  So I simply quite and restart, and pan is back
normal for me once again. =:^)

Unfortunately that's a rather too advanced a workaround for most users,
but it does work fine for me.  Having to quite and restart pan is still
frustrating, but not NEARLY as frustrating as having to manually reset
all those column widths!