pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Problem with links

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Problem with links
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 07:03:12 +0000 (UTC)

Jeffrey Needle posted on Wed, 29 Aug 2012 23:09:41 -0700 as excerpted:

> Well, I figured out how to switch to plain text in gmail.  It isn't
> intuitive -- to know you're typing in html.  Sorry about that.

Thanks.  That's what keeps me trying, instead of simply ignoring such
posts as I've seen some claim to do.  Because time after time, people
don't even realize they're doing it, especially on gmail, or in
evolution, etc.  Sometimes I've seen it even happen to people I know from
previous discussions vastly prefer plain text themselves, and who get
rather embarrassed when I do the equivalent of "xyz, pdq!" (examine your
zipper, pretty **** quick, said to someone with their fly open, in case
that's an idiom that's gone out of favor, dating me), pointing out that
they're posting in the html they'd /never/ have posted had they known!

So I know accidents happen, and often enough, people are happy to comply,
once they realize the problem. =:^)

> I checked the settings in pan and learned that the problem was with how
> Linux was setting the default browser.  Once I fixed Linux's setting,
> pan works just fine.

Thanks for the fix report. =:^)

FWIW, most folks familiar with the technical workings probably wouldn't
say it was "Linux's" setting, but rather, the setting of whatever desktop
environment (I'd guess gnome/unity there, since that's ubuntu's default
desktop, here it'd be kde, since that's my desktop of choice, and my
setting in pan, to use kde's settings).  "Linux" either refers to the
whole thing, and we're only taking one tiny bit of it here so that would
be strange usage, or specifically to the Linux kernel only, and that
would be even stranger usage, since this setting is WAYYY above anything
the kernel deals with.

But what you meant was clear enough. (I think!  There's always the
possibility I'm confused too!  =:^)