pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Problem with links

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Problem with links
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 05:34:49 +0000 (UTC)

Travis posted on Wed, 29 Aug 2012 18:32:32 -0700 as excerpted:

> -----Original Message----- From: Jeffrey Needle Sent: Wednesday, August
> 29, 2012 5:37 PM To: address@hidden
> Subject: [Pan-users] Problem with links
>

>> Using Pan 0.136 on a Ubuntu 12.04 system.
>
>> For some reason, when I click on a link, I can't get my web browser to
>> open.  I have to copy the link and paste it into the browser bar.  Not
>> a critical problem, but a minor pain.  Any thoughts on why this is
>> happening?  Thanks.
>

> Please do not post in HTML.

Thanks, Travis. =:^)

FWIW, the desired option is usually labeled plain text format, or
something similar.

As I've noted before, there's reasons pan doesn't do html.  This is the
pan list and a number of regulars here actually use pan to read the
list.  As such, even for people who do choose to post HTML in other
circumstances, posting it here... is really a slap in the fact to both
pan's devs and the users who choose to use it!  (Why a user would slap
/themselves/ in the face is another question, but anyway...)

Then AFTER that slap in the face to those who might help them, some
posters have the utter gall to post questions, presumably expecting
reasonable answers!

<shakes head>

But... being the nice guy I usually am, while I do generally ask such
posters to stop posting in HTML, I do usually still answer the question.
Maybe I have a masochistic streak or something.  <shrug>  I prefer to
explain it as an honest desire to help, even when the people asking
aren't so cooperative or nice in doing so...

So... to try to answer the question now that it's plain text... (Again,
thanks Travis =:^)...

Have you checked pan preferences or did you simply assume they were set
appropriately for your usage?  What does the applications tab, web
browser option, say, and is it appropriate to your chosen desktop?  If so
and it still isn't working, you can try setting custom and filling in the
blank with your preference.

(Back to the HTML thing.  The post here was HTML, but at least it was
/moderate/ HTML.  Over on the kde lists today, there was a post of nearly
500 lines *OF* *HTML* CODE!  That's the first time in a very long time
that I haven't tried to answer the question as well as ask them to set
plain text instead of HTML next time, BECAUSE IN ALL THAT HTML presumably
to be read by the browser not a human, I COULDN'T SEE THE MESSAGE FOR THE
HUMAN TO READ!  Maybe it was scrolled off-screen or something.  <shrug>

Anyway, that was just too much.  I wasn't going to eyeball the whole
thing looking for a word here and a word there of text to try to put
together, or spend a lot of time scrolling this way and that to find it,
so for once I didn't even try to answer the question as I couldn't see
it!  I just answered, saying if I wasn't just replying to a spammer,
please post in plain text (and remarking about nearly 500 lines of HTML,
with so little real message among the noise that I didn't see it).

At least the one here, while an eye sore with all the raw HTML, was still
decently readable by a human seeing only the raw unparsed text including
the HTML.  As I found out today, that's something! =:^)  !  I had
forgotten just how bad it could be!)