pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Character code page used in Pan (old) postings

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Character code page used in Pan (old) postings
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2012 20:58:31 +0000 (UTC)

Maurice Batey posted on Sun, 12 Feb 2012 18:58:45 +0000 as excerpted:

> On Sun, 12 Feb 2012 18:29:59 +0000, Duncan wrote:
>
>> that'd involve watching the list for posts such as yours about old-pan,
>> and responding to them as best you could.
>
>   I do that already!

=:^)

> I have tried pan2 (well, a couple of years ago) and decided I preferred
> the way that pan1 worked.
> Perhaps it has changed for the better, and I should give it another
> run...

The biggest change from old-pan is the (mostly) transparent server
handling, having all groups in one big list regardless of server.  AFAIK
there's no pure-server issues related to that, but people did take
advantage of a side-effect of that to categorize their subscriptions,
since neither old nor new pan has categories, and those subscribed to a
large number of lists can find the single long lists of subscribed groups
isn't particularly optimal for them.

That workaround for the lack of categories doesn't work with new-pan
since all groups are combined in a single list now, not one per server,
but there's another workaround that works as well for me at least (better
in some ways since it allows separate settings per "category", once I set
it up:

What I've done here for categories is take advantage of the fact that pan
checks the PAN_HOME environmental variable when it starts, using it as a
pointer to pan's data dir in place of the default ~/.pan2.  With a couple
small wrapper scripts that set PAN_HOME appropriately (and that I use for
a few other settings now that they're there), I'm able to run a different
pan instance, complete with its own settings, for each "category".  Here,
I simply use text, test, and bin (binaries) as my categories, but of
course that's purely personal preference.

I believe all current releases allow multiple pan sessions to be run at
once, but a reasonably recent change in git now tests for another running
pan instance and shuts down if it exists, as the simplest fix for a bug
involving accidentally starting a second instance using the same data
dir.  That's a bit frustrating here, but I only do the text instance at
all regularly any more, so it hasn't bothered me as much as it would
someone regularly using multiple separate pan sessions, as I used to.
I've been going to investigate how it's doing that with a eye toward a
workaround (if it's a socket listener in $TMP as used for example with
claws-mail, setting $TMP just as I set the data dir var should work, just
as it does with claws-mail, which I run two instances of, one for mail,
one with the appropriate plugin as my feed reader). or filing a bug to
create a mechanism that can be worked around if I don't find any, but
I've not done so yet.