pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Semi-OT: newspost problems

From: SciFi
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Semi-OT: newspost problems
Date: Sun, 16 May 2010 01:51:37 +0000 (UTC)

Hi,

I use Pan with GN, too, for downloading stuff and for simple messages (such
as this one ;) ).

GN does cause an “Unknown Error 0” with Pan, even at times when I have Pan
off-line (supposedly).  You can see it in Pan’s Event Log (under the File
pull-down, or click the button on the extreme lower–right corner).
This glitch does not seem to cause anything to be concerned about, tho,
or maybe Pan knows what to do internally.
It _does_ seem to occur at times that could be seen as “scheduled” or
“periodic” several times within a few hours every day/night.

As for posting binaries, I use ‘yencee’ rather than ‘newspost’ — I want a
“fresher” version of yEnc, and the built-in Perl support for NNTP itself.
Sourceforge hosts it here:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/yencee/

Earlier this year, I corresponded with the author of ‘yencee’ to see if we
can knock-out a few bugs, some of which might be related to the “Error 0”
thing.
It was the bug when ‘yencee’ would get the error–0 from GN (we think),
then flat decide to quit the posting entirely, that irritated me.
To fix it, we decided to make ‘yencee’:
 º close the session,
 º pause a few seconds,
 º do another sign-on (userid/pswd sequence), and finally
 º continue posting the current slice/part.
In case of a ‘true’ error, this ‘retry’ sequence counts up to 5 or 10 then
‘really’ quits.
I do not know how/if ‘newspost’ can be fixed that way.

The current version of ‘yencee’ is now a very nice dependable NNTP posting
app, IMO.  And I’ve been doing UseNet for well–over two decades.  ;)

I think I might open-up a support request on this.  Maybe GN does not know
their servers are doing this.

:)