pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: 0.134 and Beyond

From: Beartooth
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: 0.134 and Beyond
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 20:44:22 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 29 Sep 2009 19:04:20 +0000, Matej Cepl wrote:

        [snipperoo]

> c) don't plan Great Changes at all anyway; I think that unfortunately
> whole idea of newsgroups got much less popular lately and people seem to
> prefer such idiotical places for communication as web-fora, facebooks
> and such. I can think that people rejecting NGs are idiots (and I do),
> but I am afraid it won't change the tide.
> I have studied administration of newservers lately, and it feels like
> going through cemetery -- a lot of dead projects, books out of print for
> a decade, orphaned projects. gmane.org is the only exception to this
> trend, but I don't see any other recent development for the newsgroups
> revival. I don't see anywhere huge groups of users waiting impatiently
> on better newsgroup reader. Don't expect them much to come. Maybe that
> the answer to Jeff's question is that they just don't use newsreaders
> that much any more and they contribute even less.

        That does seem to be happening across a wide swath of cyberspace,
more or less in synch with the baby-in-bathwater abandonment of all
Usenet by big providers (including Verizon and Comcast, iirc) for utterly
non-technical reasons.

        But one big bright spot (I hope and think) is very familiar to
many here : Gmane. There are a bunch of lists I can't do without, and
wouldn't be able to benefit from, were it not for Pan and Gmane both.
Surely my name must be legion or something close??