pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: 0.134 and Beyond

From: Wayne E. Nail
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: 0.134 and Beyond
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 20:23:14 -0400

On Tue, 2009-09-29 at 10:11 +1000, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Sep 2009 09:45:50 am walt wrote:
> > The 'infrastructure' I keep referring to has to do only with the
> > GUI interface of pan.  The critical parts that you (Charles) have
> > spent so much effort in optimizing for speed and memory use, are
> > all in c++, am I right?
> >
> > So -- why not implement the pan GUI in java and let each platform
> > deal with the optimized c++ part in its own way (already done)?
>
> Please no. Pan is nice and snappy and responsive, and works reasonably
> well even in relatively low-end machines with not a lot of memory. The
> last thing we want is to pair a fast, snappy engine with a UI that
> takes forever to start up, looks hideous, requires vast amounts of
> memory, and ends up clomping around with lead boots squashing
> everything in it's path. Separation of the back-end from the front-end
> is a perfectly sensible idea. It's only the use of Java as the default
> front-end which I object to.

Given that Charles has championed lean, tight code in Transmission --
embracing the project's design goals from the beginning of his
involvement -- I rather doubt he could be convinced that Java should
ever touch Pan. Just my opinion.

But, witness the difference between Transmission and Vuze, as an
example: http://pastehtml.com/view/090621g11KlBWM.html