pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: 0.134 and Beyond

From: walt
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: 0.134 and Beyond
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 16:45:50 -0700

On 09/28/2009 04:25 PM, walt wrote:

Replying to myself, with an idea that struck me mere milliseconds
after hitting the 'send' button, as usual:

Another poster made a similar observation about recruiting the
OS X crowd to help out -- to which I would add the talented folk
in the kde camp. But how to do that is the question. That's
where M$ has the real advantage -- every programmer is working
with the same infrastructure, for better or worse. Same goes
for java (with no thanks at all to M$).

The 'infrastructure' I keep referring to has to do only with the
GUI interface of pan.  The critical parts that you (Charles) have
spent so much effort in optimizing for speed and memory use, are
all in c++, am I right?

So -- why not implement the pan GUI in java and let each platform
deal with the optimized c++ part in its own way (already done)?

I've dinked around enough with java to know that it can do anything
that pan's GUI needs to do.  I'm less sure about the things that
glib and gmime do, however.  That's getting over my head, because
I know very little about glib and gmime, or how you've used them
to build pan.