pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: What's the status of new development?

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: What's the status of new development?
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 12:34:06 +0000 (UTC)

Rhialto posted on Fri, 25 Sep 2009 12:33:57 +0200 as excerpted:

> The screenshots are somewhere else now, but it reminded me of the
> following: every time I see that icon/logo of Transmission, I've
> wondered why they chose that thing that is (in older movies) the box
> with the handle which is used to detonate dynamyte...
>
> It took me a while to realise it is an america-centric view of what
> passes for a gearstick (or lack of it)...
>
> Not a very good choice of logo.

LOL!

I had to go look again as I hadn't paid any attention to that.  FWIW, I
got to the screenshots by simply hitting konqueror's "up" button, to trim
from the last / rightward.  I use that function (try the parent
directory) often enough that I had to get an extension and add a button
to firefox with the same functionality. =:^)

Anyway, "up" is just the main page, from which the snapshots were just a
click away. =:^)

http://www.transmissionbt.com/

As for your observation, from here it makes perfect sense, it's an iconic
representation of a "transmission", aka gear box, aka the "UI" (aka front-
end) attached to such gear box.  With the information you provided about
the multiple front-end clients, the analogy is even more apt.

But yes, come to think about it, I suppose it /might/ be a bit "USian-
centric".

OTOH, at least to the "USian" way of thinking, being associated with the
power of dynamite isn't so terrible either.  But of course from the
perspective of people in many other countries, it would be a symbol
primarily of destruction, not power, and therefore would have negative
rather than positive connotations.  Yes indeed, that's not such a good
thing.