pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Temporarily dead server

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Temporarily dead server
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 14:45:00 +0000 (UTC)

Phil Grundig <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Tue, 13
Jan 2009 10:56:06 +0000:

> Checkboxes/ticks to disable/enable a server would be an entirely
> sensible (and obvious) usability feature to add.
>
> I certainly never would have guessed the '0' connection limit thing, if
> it works that is.

It doesn't... unless the feature was added for 0.133 and not put in the
changelog or something.  Unfortunately... as it'd be nice...

> Deleting a server also means the entire newsgroup
> list has to be downloaded again when the server is re-added, since Pan
> must simply delete the list!

What I'd do would be create a couple script thats switched out the
server.xml file, between one with all servers active, and one with
whichever server disabled, then (optionally) start pan.  Then with pan
shutdown, simply run one or the other script to switch-in whichever
server list.  If the option to start pan is included, one can then
replace whatever current pan menu entries or whatever with entries for
the scripts, after which you can invoke whichever one you like.  (Without
the option, one would just run the switcher script when necessary, and
start pan normally.)

Actually, the question has come up before, and after I suggested the zero
connection thing and it didn't work, that's what I suggested next.  Note
that it's possible a few other files may have to be switched out at the
same time to keep pan in sync.  I don't think it should need any but the
one, but I've not actually tried it, so I can't say for sure.

> And syscntl tweaking could have undesired effects on other connections
> for other apps and seems a bit crude.
>
> So: two feature requests (could these be passed on?):
>
> 1. Checkboxes/ticks to disable/enable a server.

As I said, this has come up before.  I believe Charles is aware of the
request.  However, it would be a good idea to check the pan bugzilla for
a feature request bug on it and file one if there's not one yet filed.
As with many devs, Charles doesn't keep very close tabs on the lists, and
prefers such feature requests be filed in the bug tracking system so they
don't get lost.

If you file a bug, you can note this thread as archived on gmane.  Here's
the thread origin post:
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnome.apps.pan.user/10685

Similarly, you can then post the bug URL here so there's links both ways.