pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Problems with some replies - Followup

From: HarryB
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Problems with some replies - Followup
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 16:34:50 -0600

On Wednesday 24 December 2008 10:17:44 pm HarryB wrote:
> On Thursday 11 December 2008 12:50:40 pm HarryB wrote:
> > New Pan (v0.132) user, running under Debian 4.0 and KDE 3.5.10.
> >
> > I have been able to post a new message to the newsgroup rec.bicycles.tech
> > and one or two replies, but additional replies fail because the server
> > rejects them and returns the following error: "441 Posting Failed
> > (Rejected by POST filter)" .
>
> [snip]
>
> I have tried for a week and a half to get some help with this problem from
> my ISP's (Bellsouth - AT&T) tech support. They have shuffled me around and
> I've wasted many hours on the phone with them. (Many a time I was
> encouraged to try their "fee based" service. I reminded them that I *was*
> paying for their service!) No one could tell me how to get in contact with
> the person(s) who maintains their NNTP server.
>
> However, after much digging around on my own, it looks like I finally got
> in contact with the person who can help. At first he said the problem was
> with Pan, but said he would, "... try to turn down the rabidness of the
> posting filter to see if this will help Pan users."
>
> I then provided him with some of the comments you guys gave and he
> responded positively, writing that he would look into it when he gets back
> from vacation on Monday.
>
> I will keep you posted if/when the problem gets resolved.
>
> Harry

The "newsmaster", (the person who is apparently in charge of the Bellsouth's
NNTP server) turned off the filter for a short period of time and I was then
able to post replies in the normal manner, even if there were numerous IDs in
the References lines.

So, you guys were definitely correct that it is an improperly configured
filter. However, having discovered the problem isn't the same thing as having
solved it. The newsmaster said he would work on the problem...

Cheers,
Harry