pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Testing can post to newsgroup

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Testing can post to newsgroup
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2009 19:35:16 +0000 (UTC)

Maurice Batey <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Sat, 03
Jan 2009 18:44:32 +0000:

> Having just discovered the newsgroup I've unsubscribed from the
> mailing-list, and just wanted to check I can post here...

You can.  Welcome to the newsgroup version!  =;^)

There is one annoyance, the encrypted mail addresses, which is a per-list/
group gmane option to help control spam to the list.  If I need a mail
address and the group is encrypted, I ask people to post it in name at
domain format so the encryptor doesn't mess with it.

Two other things to be aware of:

1) Due to the list/group interface, gmane doesn't always handle cross-
posts as a normal newsserver would.  In particular, because crossposts
normally come in via mail as separate messages to the separate lists/
groups, if there's not enough information in the message itself to note
the crosspost (what constitutes enough info I don't know, maybe only
posts that originate with gmane?), gmane will post the first one to come
in using its normal message-id, then have to change message-ids to avoid
duplicates when the message comes in for other lists, because it doesn't
know it's a cross-post in that case.  Of course, this is only an issue
for crossposts, but it's something to be aware of when dealing with
crossposts, if you notice strange behavior with them.

2) I've been using gmane for some time.  Twice during that time,
apparently some idiot with a similar IP address (likely the same subnet
of some size, I don't know how big) attacked gmane, either DoSing them or
spamming them.  Anyway, the subnet including my IP address was
temporarily blocked from gmane news access as a result.  If this happens,
you won't see an error.  You'll just not get any updates for awhile.  Or
at least that's the way it worked here.

If you're lucky that'll never happen to you, but if it does, once you
realize it, there's several things you can do.  First, you can still use
the gmane web interface -- it's only the news interface that gets
blocked.  Of course the web interface lacks the convenient auto-tracking
of what you've read and what you haven't so it's terribly hard to keep up
with conversations, but it'll do in a pinch.  Second, you can post (using
the web interface) a request to gmane.discuss, saying you're blocked and
could they investigate and narrow the block or whatever.  I had to do
that the first time.  The second resolved itself faster, tho I'm not sure
whether that was gmane, or that I got a different IP address on a
different not-blocked subnet, or what.  Third, you can of course then go
change your mail subscription back to normal, so it sends you the
messages and you reply via mail.  IIRC I did that for one or two of my
higher volume lists the first time it happened.  As I said the second
resolved itself fast enough (~3 days to a week, IIRC) that I didn't get
around to worrying about it.

But for the most part it's trouble-free, and anyway, the few problems
there are have been less hassle than tracking the list by mail would have
been. =:^)