pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Folders: gone forever?

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Folders: gone forever?
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 19:25:57 +0000 (UTC)

Charles Sullivan <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Tue,
20 May 2008 12:27:12 -0400:

> Has Charles abandoned further development of PAN?

No.  However, he has a big tendency to work on it in fits and starts.
Before the rewrite appeared, it had been over a year (IIRC) since any
release, and that had been a couple minor bug fixes, over two years since
he'd done any major work on it.  Two years is the rule of thumb for
beginning to consider it abandoned code for many distributions, since at
that point it's often getting stale and difficult to build with current
gcc against current libraries and other dependencies, and I and other pan
loyalists were beginning to deal with what was definitely looking like
abandoned code, preparing ourselves to at least temporarily give up hope
for pan and go looking for something else, or to seriously start looking
for someone else to adopt the code, or something.  That wasn't the first
time development has pretty much stopped for months at a time, but it
/was/ the first time at least since I had been using pan (starting with
0.11.something, GNOME 1.x version, early 2002 IIRC, so it has been
awhile) that it was /so/ long.

Then Charles appears with the rewrite, which he had apparently been
working on privately for most of that two years, but hadn't wanted to say
anything as he didn't want to get hopes up.

After the rewrite went public, things went gung ho in an obviously not
sustainable by a single dev over the long term rush of development --
weekly betas.  Very surprisingly to me at least, he continued that hectic
pace for somewhat over a year, not /quite hitting a weekly release
average, but certainly better than a two-week average, with a total of 43
releases (0.90-0.132).  I'm sure no one with any development experience
at all expected him to keep that up for that long, when he was doing most
of the work (others helped and provided some patches, but...), and it was
after all a volunteer project he was doing and continues to do in his
"spare" time.

He took a well earned break after that, long after I expected, but I
expected it to be a couple months, then he'd come back but at a slower
pace.  Only it has been... well, 0.132 was released on Aug 1, 2007,
according to pan's home page, so... nearly 10 months now, without hardly
a peep.

I run the SVN version here, and it hasn't had much work either.  There's
been some translation updates, but that's the GNOME translators, not
Charles.

That said, he has apparently still been active in the GNOME community.
As I said I'm not a GNOME person but for (GTK) pan, but apparently,
Transition is a GTK/GNOME bittorrent client, that had stagnated and that
Charles apparently has been quite active on in the mean time.

Back to pan.  It /had/ reached a sort of a good pause point.  The new
version is quite functional altho there are still a couple features still
missing as compared to old-pan (including a replacement for the old
rules, with which one could automate delete of ignored articles and
download of watched articles, something many of us still miss).  Charles
had apparently intended to shoot for the magic 1.0 as the next stable,
one of the reasons he started at 0.90 (never expecting 40-some betas in
~14 months, maybe 9, before 1.0), but it didn't happen that way.

Meanwhile, there are still a couple obscure but non-trivial bugs that
really need fixed before a real stable, only they are hard to pin down.

The big one is one where (apparently) crosspostings from a followed
group, to one that hasn't been followed, can then make it impossible to
ever get updates on the previously unfollowed group if one decides to
subscribe there.  I've run into this here with the Gentoo groups (mailing
lists as newsgroups) on gmane.  A couple new lists/groups were started,
but due to cross-posting, pan simply ignores them.  I can subscribe to
them, but pan never actually downloads anything, even if I tell it to get
all headers.  The symptoms are very similar to those one might see if the
server reset its xref numbers, only that isn't the case here and fetching
all headers would normally get them in that case even if they appeared as
already read.  Only with this bug, even fetching all headers doesn't
bring anything in.  If I point pan at a clean config, everything comes in
as it should, but then I lose track of all the messages I've saved and
their status.

But it doesn't happen in /all/ such cases, only sometimes.  Others have
reported the issue in slightly different circumstances, but it doesn't
happen to everyone.

Anyway, with this and a couple other bugs (I don't seem to have), it
/was/ a rather decent point to pause for a while and let usage chase out
this and some of the other bugs, before (hopefully) a final push to a
stable version, 1.0 or not.

But now development seems paused again.  Given the history, there's
little doubt Charles will eventually get back to pan and it'll go gang
busters for a few months again, but I don't believe even Charles has a
good idea when that might be.

So I guess that's the answer to your question, further development isn't
abandoned, just paused, but it's anyone's guess when it'll startup again,
tho when it does, it'll probably go very well for awhile, before pausing
once again.

It'd sure be nice if I had the skills to help with development, not just
on the lists/groups...

BTW, I've lost track of whether it was here or another group, but talking
about pan and alternatives with someone, they hinted that klibido now
handles text and posting in addition to binary downloads, all it did last
I checked it out.  I don't know as I've not used it for awhile and
haven't yet gotten the confirmation that I asked for on whether I was
reading him right, but I know it /was/ pretty nice, if a bit raw being a
pretty new app, for binary downloading, back when I used it last.
Particularly for those with KDE already on their system, it may well be
worth checking out, as if it's as sweet at text and posting as it was on
binary downloading, it'll be one sweet client, and could well leave pan
in the dust.  But it sounds a bit too good to be true.  We'll see, I
suppose.