pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Folders: gone forever?

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Folders: gone forever?
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 14:33:18 +0000 (UTC)

Charles Sullivan <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Mon,
19 May 2008 15:03:32 -0400:

> The latest PAN on my FC6 system is 2.3.1 [...]

I haven't the foggiest where that version number came from, but it's not
pan's.  If it's correct, it's entirely Fedora's version numbering, and I
haven't the foggiest what it corresponds to in "upstream" pan
versioning.  I expect, however, that you mistakenly reported some other
app's version number.

FWIW, pan has never passed the 1.0 milestone so all versions are 0.
something or other.  Old pre-rewrite (C source) pan will be versions up
to 0.14.x.  New C++ rewrite pan started at version 0.90, with anything
post 0.120 being what I'd call relatively recent, and 0.132 being the
latest.

So look for a version number 0.13x or possibly 0.12x.  That's much more
likely.

> [...] and I don't see any "mail"
> option other that "reply to author".  I suppose I could type in my email
> address for each post to be mailed, but that's not particularly
> convenient.

Putting pretty much anything of the form address@hidden in the email address
box
should pull up your mailer, provided either the package or you configured
an appropriate one.  In fact, I never use the menu option for mail at
all.  I just use the "f" keyboard shortcut for (newsgroup) followup as I
normally would, then simply delete the newsgroup entry and add something
(address@hidden or whatever) to the Mail To line.  Hitting send then brings up
my mail client (kmail) with the message opened in its message editor.  I
could then mail it wherever, but since we're just talking about saving it
to mail, that's what I do, save it without ever sending. (FWIW, kmail
only lets me save it in draft, but I can and do move it from there to the
folder I wanted to save it to.  However, that's a kmail implementation
quirk.  Others may let you save it anywhere, directly, while others might
actually force you to mail it to yourself.)

> Leaving the post in the original newsgroup isn't much of an option for
> me.

True, it won't be an option for everyone.  I'd not be able to use it in
my binary groups, for instance, due to the way I handle them.  I'd use
the mail thing for them, which I do anyway if I want to save a particular
message.

I know people who brag about having a multi-year archive of the various
text groups they follow in Forte Agent, tho, and find it very cool that I
can now do the same thing in pan.  =8^)  It can be useful to have whole
threads archived from a year or more ago, and it's interesting just to go
back and look at it once in awhile too, remembering what events were
current and being argued at the time...