pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Download headers from more than one group at a time?

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Download headers from more than one group at a time?
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 12:35:41 +0000 (UTC)

jef_e <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Sun, 26 Nov
2006 23:22:33 -0500:

> (Would this be a good time to mention that customizing the order of the
> Subscribed Groups list would be a nice thing) ;-)

I'm not sure if custom order per se is on the request list, but some method
of at least categorizing them is.  It may (or may not) show up as another
level of tree, inserted between the subscribed groups level and the group
list itself.

Meanwhile, there are two current ways to manage things if your list of
subscribed groups is very long.  One way is to use the search function to
limit the groups displayed.  This is probably the simplest, but I don't
use it.

The second method of categorizing groups is to actually have multiple
instances of pan, each with its own configuration.  This is what I do,
with one for text, another for binaries, and another for testing.  Each
one has (as I said) its own config, with stuff like the score file and
accels.txt keyboard shortcuts customizations in a global location pointed
to by symlinks from each individual config dir.  How is this accomplished?
Simple.  The PAN_HOME environmental variable can be used to point pan at
its configuration if you don't want to use the default ~/.pan2.  I simply
use stub-scripts to start pan, named pan.bin, pan.test, etc, with each one
setting the PAN_HOME variable as appropriate, so they don't interfere with
each other.  Then I subscribe to different groups (on different servers in
some cases) for each instance as appropriate.  This works surprisingly
well as for many things I want different settings for binaries than for
text groups anyway.

I don't have that many subscribed groups, however.  If I had more, I'd
break it down further, splitting both text groups and binaries up by
interest.