pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Trying 'new Pan' on 'Mandriva Free 2007'

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Trying 'new Pan' on 'Mandriva Free 2007'
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2006 04:07:24 +0000 (UTC)

walt <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Fri, 24 Nov 2006 19:09:10
+0000:

> Perhaps start at pan.rebelbase.com and follow the link to 'downloads'.
> Unfortunately, the last RPM for Mandriva seems to be quite old, 0.108.
> There have been so many improvements since 0.108 that I would not
> suggest trying it.
>
> On the other hand, there is a 0.117 for Suse, which should be enough to
> give you a good idea.  You should have no trouble running new and old
> pans side-by-side because they use different directory names to store
> their configs and data.  I just rename the new pan executable to 'pan2'
> so I can tell them apart.

Back when I was on Mandrake, I'd often use Red Hat (which would now be
Fedora) RPMs.  Mandrake/Mandriva is supposed to be RH compatible, so the
Fedora RPM is very likely to work and put stuff in the expected
directories as if it were a Mandriva native RPM.  The single exception at
least back then was that one of the library package dependencies was
libsomething on Mandrake and somethinglib on RH, IIRC, so it was a bit
hard to tell which library I needed, but the Mandriva one had a provide
for the RH name as well, so once installed, it worked just fine.

The SuSE one may work, but I'd guess there's more likely to be a few more
of those types of minor incompatibilities.

> Compiling pan is truly trivial *if* you have all the necessary development
> packages installed, but that is the part that trips up most beginners.
> You can read more about compiling at the bottom of the downloads page
> in the 'CVS' section.

Exactly.  Tracking all the -dev packages was a pain.  That's one of the
good things about Gentoo -- both by policy and in practice, since it's
generally compiled on-site anyway, when you merge (install) something, you
get all the headers and other stuff that most binary distributions split
into -dev packages, so even if Gentoo doesn't provide a package for what
you are doing and you have to compile it on your own, it's far simpler to
do.