pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Trying 'new Pan' on 'Mandriva Free 2007'

From: walt
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Trying 'new Pan' on 'Mandriva Free 2007'
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 19:09:10 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 17:36:49 +0000, Maurice Batey wrote:

> Although I've been aware of all the efforts Charles and the beta testers have
> been making, I have not been following the details.
>
> Although my workhorse is SuSE Linux 9.0 Pro (using Pan 0.14.2), I recently
> installed - on an experimental basis - Mandriva Free 2007, on a spare
> external USB2 drive, and it seems an ideal situation to dip my toes into the
> 'new Pan' water.
>
> To that end, where might I find a version of the new Pan that I can download
> and install?
>
> I am not a LInux expert, and would therefore prefer the RPM approach, but I
> am
> no stranger to the world of compiling (at least as it was decades ago...) and
> would have a go if detailed instructions to follow were available.

Perhaps start at pan.rebelbase.com and follow the link to 'downloads'.
Unfortunately, the last RPM for Mandriva seems to be quite old, 0.108.
There have been so many improvements since 0.108 that I would not
suggest trying it.

On the other hand, there is a 0.117 for Suse, which should be enough to
give you a good idea.  You should have no trouble running new and old
pans side-by-side because they use different directory names to store
their configs and data.  I just rename the new pan executable to 'pan2'
so I can tell them apart.

Compiling pan is truly trivial *if* you have all the necessary development
packages installed, but that is the part that trips up most beginners.
You can read more about compiling at the bottom of the downloads page
in the 'CVS' section.