pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: VDQ : .pan

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: VDQ : .pan
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 05:30:12 +0000 (UTC)

David Shochat <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Sun, 19 Nov 2006 16:10:32
-0500:

> Beartooth wrote:
>> Once 0.119 is up and running, does it continue to use .pan, or will it
>> stick to .pan2? I ask because .pan at present is much the largest file in
>> my home directory -- and I may be a long while getting
>> around to going through it.

> I think it ignores .pan and just uses .pan2. That way you can keep
> old-pan around (it uses .pan). I think the structure is different too.

>> So one obvious way to make space, it seems to me, would be to move .pan
>> into some other directory entirely -- somewhere such as /opt, for
>> instance. Reasonable?? Or would that be asking for trouble?

> That's what I do, and I just have a symlink ~/.pan2 pointing to the
> actual .pan2 (which is not in my home directory).
> I think there's an environment variable you can set to specify any
> directory pathname you want (but I forget what it is).

Exactly.  Before I unmerged (gentoo-speak for uninstalled) pan
0.14.whatever, I copied the binary to pan.14.  The binary (and libs it
depends on from other packages of course) is all that's needed, so I
still have old-pan around and can start it up when needed, for reference
when answering someone's question on it, for instance.  (I'll delete it a
bit after pan 1.0 comes out and there are packages available for major
distributions, so I can just tell folks the old version is now
unsupported, but I don't feel quite right doing that until there's an
officially stable new-pan out for them to upgrade to).  pan.14 uses ~/.pan
while new-pan uses ~/.pan2 by default, so they don't interfere with each
other.

(The name of that environmental variable you referenced, BTW, is $PAN_HOME
.  I make use of that feature to run several different pan instances here,
each with its own separate configuration, using symlinks where I want the
a single common config (as with the score and accels.txt files).)