pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Pan 0.119 Multiple servers. Howto?

From: David Kelly
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Pan 0.119 Multiple servers. Howto?
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 22:48:38 -0600

On Nov 19, 2006, at 2:55 PM, Scott wrote:

I see you can use different posting profiles, but how do I *read* a
newsgroup from a different server?

Why do you care which news server Pan uses? The point is that Pan now pulls articles from the servers it finds them on. That when a newsgroup is on multiple servers it compares and magically offers articles which were missing from one. Its not yet perfect as I think I have seen articles that I have deleted which were slow to appear on another server, reappear when they arrived at the slow server. "I think", as I haven't for sure caught it in the act. Have started "mark all as read" rather than use delete which was necessary in the past to keep the prior pan's memory use reasonable on large groups.

When doing bulk downloads Pan distributes the tasks among configured servers. Just how it distributes is determined by the news server priority setting.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, address@hidden